Sr. Design Technician
Supervisor, Field Engineering
Jan. 25, 2019
Open untill filled.
Purpose and Description:
Design commercial and industrial multi-phase powerline systems; work in conjunction with the Department of Transportation (DOT), members, and the general public to complete power line design plans timely, accurately, and in a cost-effective manner, in accordance with North Georgia EMC policies and procedures.
- 10 years of applicable design experience with an electric distribution system or two-year degree in a related field and five years of design experience.
- Formal training pertaining to the DOT processes related to powerline design.
- Design electric distribution and service facilities including transformers in accordance with design plans while satisfying all required specifications. Offer support and incorporate the members’ preferences when possible or diligently attempt to coordinate other options that are agreeable to the member.
- Accurately calculate load and prepare staking sheets, check drawings, and prepare all paperwork in accordance to NGEMC policies within allotted time frame.
- Resolves member concerns in a professional and courteous manner.
- Effectively communicates all job-related information, requirements, cost and options to the members.
- Accurately prepare written documents, including necessary permits, easements, contracts and cost estimates as required.
- Effectively design and stake electric lines to be built/rebuilt including new construction, system improvements, overhead and underground construction. This includes but is not limited to all single-phase line extensions, three phase line extensions, single phase to three phase conversions, and DOT driven projects.
- Advise customers and public of potential concerns or challenges pertaining to new line designs, upgrades, or relocation projects.
- Prepare staking sheets and related agreements to accommodate joint use of poles and trenches by other utilities in accordance to the agreement with each utility.
- Submit full and concise written reports of field activities and investigations as required.
- Maintains safety standards and awareness. Responsible for compliance with the Cooperative’s current safety standards.
- Directs the restoration of power during outages, as directed.
- Other tasks and duties as assigned
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; excellent interpersonal skills for effective interaction with other personnel and for providing member assistance and securing necessary information.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing work situations and priorities
- Demonstrated knowledge of the National Electric Safety Code requirements for the construction and maintenance of an electrical distribution system.
- Demonstrated knowledge of NGEMC’s Service Rules and Regulations, NGEMC’s specifications
- The ability to perform all staking functions with minimum supervision.
- Demonstrated proficiency in different personal computer operating environments.
- Demonstrates current technical knowledge required to effectively perform job duties.
- Demonstrates willingness to further develop knowledge and skill set in order to progress in position and complete more advanced tasks.
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities (some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees). Requires physical ability in reaching, stooping, standing, walking on uneven and sloped terrain, lifting, must be able to lift small objects with the fingers, grasping, talking, hearing, repetitive operations, and defined sedentary work. Visual acuity required with administrative machine operation.
Both general office and field work environment; requires the flexibility to work irregular hours for assignment completion; requires the ability to work during emergency situations and availability during inclement weather.
Additional Information to Applicants
- All qualified candidates will receive consideration for this position without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, handicap, political affiliation, labor organization affiliation, marital status, or other non-merit factors.
- Travel expense will be paid by the applicant.
- Relocation expenses, if any, will not be paid by North Georgia EMC.